Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Conversations With The Fully Employed. Part I.


This tidbit of conversation has stuck with me for a couple days. Makes me a little jealous, and a little miffed.

EmployedPseudoPeer : So, do you have any summer plans?

Underemployed : Um, working at the restaurant. That's all I've got so far.

EmployedPseudoPeer : Oh.

HELLO. Restaurant workers are not salaried employees. If I don't show up to work on a given day, I don't get paid. I clock in, I clock out. No sick days, no vacation days. If I want off, I have to get my shifts covered, during which time whoever covers me earns money and I don't.

So do I have summer plans? Sure : Making money at work, finding other ways to make money (by working), and spending said money on a cool film editing class I found, as well as some tasty mojitos, maybe a sundress or two, and sweet sweet live tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment